So what is Mailvu???
Generally Mailvu is a tool that allow us to record video messages for us to share with our family, friends or else anyone else that we wish through email. Plus you can easily create and send the video with just a couple of simple steps without having any complicated stuff to worry about. How cool is that. it is simple, fast and easy. Click HERE to go straight to Mailvu!
The steps of using Mailvu >>>>
1) Click the record button on the right hand side and start recording. (max 10 min)
2)You can also click on the play button to preview what have you recorded just now before you can actually send it to anyone.
3)After you have already satisfied with your message, click the send button and enter the necessary details such as the receiver email address and yours as well.
4)Now your task is finished and the receiver will get your message in an instant and could also reply back to you in the same way through Mailvu.
So what can you do with Mailvu in the class?
1) Speaking activity = The teachers could ask the student to make a a short message at home using Mailvu to promote an object that he or she would love the others to buy and send it to them. This will give the opportunity for the students to practice using the language and to improve their speaking skill as well. Plus, a connected classroom can be established as through this activity, students will not only be learning on how to use the language at school but also learning and practising using the language at home with a specific purpose.
other topic/activity :
--Draw a timeline and share stories on why the dates or the year are important to them. Is it meaningful or full with painful memories.
--Share their interest, talents or hobbies such as cooking, playing, climbing rocks, etc...
-- The teachers or the students can use the tool and record themselves to give the listening input for the class to hear later. Thus, the students are going to be more excited and motivated to listen to someone that they know rather than a stranger doing it.
Teachers could send videos of them speaking a certain topic to the student at home and they need to summarize what they have understood as well as they own comments about it.
Why i like this tool?
- Its free
- The steps of using it is simple, fast, and easy.
- It encourage the students to speak as well as improving their skills by practicing a number of times while doing the recording.
- Allows connected classroom becomes a reality. This happens when it create a chance for the students to link what they have learned in class and still using it at home with a solid purpose.
- The tool itself is fun to experiment on and the students will feel more motivated to learn in the classroom.
- Plus, it gives a refreshing new way of learning or even as a homework where students can now change The words they used to express through writing to become more alive and real to see. Its interesting for them and even make the students become more engage with the lesson.
- The video is only limited for 10 min
- We can only share our video messages through email
- There is not direct chat box for the receiver or anyone else to comment or reply.
- As it is a free version, no code is given for us to embed our video in our website.
- The receiver can't actually download the video and can only watch it through email.
- There is no pause button and we need to record everything in just one go.
Other options >>>
As an alternative, KEEK is also a website that have the same functions as what Mailvu does and it can offers a code for us to embed our video in our websites. Therefore if you would like to share your video publicly in your blog, you can use KEEK instead of Mailvu. Unfortunately there are some drawbacks of using KEEK as it only allows us to record a 30 sec video rather than Mailvu who offers a 10 min video. Clik here to try KEEK yourself!!